Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Best Laid Plans...


Oh, dear!  I have been neglecting this blog!  Ouch!  I like to try to at least post something once a month, but I see that I missed April.  So sorry!  I have so much I want to talk about, but things have been insane here at the Little Stone House!

Back in April and on into May, I was swamped with a volunteer project.  In fact, I love this particular project very much, but when you also have a full time job, a part-time business, a house full of pets, and elderly parents, things can get a bit hectic!  Sadly, last week, we had a family emergency.  Fortunately, everything has turned out OK for now.  I did manage to find myself some quiet time during that week, so I was able to be of help to my family--something that is very important to me.

I have a number of posts I want to make. Hopefully, I can do that soon!

Meanwhile, our garden is in, and it's looking fantastic!  We are seeding several of the plants, and we have some greens that are over two years old and still producing really well.  The carrots are happy and are starting to come in nicely, as well.  Meanwhile, my boyfriend has tweaked the layout again, and it's very, very pretty.  I will try and post a more detailed garden update soon, with photos!

We are fairly fortunate, in that we have not been directly affected by this terrible economy!  While I give thanks for what we have, it is hard seeing friends, coworkers, and our favorite local businesses suffer.  We are doing everything we can to try and help folks stay afloat, and we also both recognize that we are safe for now, but that could change at any moment.  We are continuing to take small steps to tighten our belts. I hope to make some updates about that, too.  It's true that a lot of what we are doing is just plain common sense, but I know that when I'm facing a dilemma, I have an easier time sorting it out when I can read other people's stories.  Maybe sharing my own stories will help someone else out.

One sacrifice it looks like we have had to make is that we have not been able to take our 5th anniversary trip.  We are hoping to go away for an entire week (we usually go away for a long weekend each year at our anniversary,) just the two of us.  Unfortunately, things keep coming up, and we are not managing to save up the money we will need in order to make that trip.  I think at this point we are looking at going away next summer for a week. Most years, our week-long summer vacation is spent in MA with his family, but we really wanted to have an intimate getaway for just the two of us.  Our relationship is very special to us, for reasons I may or may not go into at a later time. I realize that we are still lucky, since we can even worry about a vacation; however, having to put it off is disappointing. 

Finally, I have a number of recipes I want to share.  I can't take credit for these, as I did not create them;  I have, however, added my own spin to some, and others have become staples in our household (not all of them are for food!)

It's been a while since I've posted anything, so I wanted to peek in and say "I'm still here.  Don't give up on my little blog!"  I do enjoy writing the posts for it, so I hope that you will subscribe or check back often!  There is more coming.  I promise!

(Photo:  (c) Nicholas Kinney/123rf.com)

No comments: