Friday, December 7, 2012

I Was Going to Write a Ranty Post on Thanksgiving...



I'm not a fan of the "traditional" Thanksgiving Holiday. In fact, I really dislike it. I was going to come on here that day while the rest of the US was stuffing itself and rant.  I decided to give myself a couple of days to cool off, though, so that my post would be more coherent and less ranty. ...Or so I thought.

The post did not happen.  Instead of writing that ranty post on Thanksgiving Thursday, I did this:


I spent a quiet day at home with my cats and my boyfriend, with nowhere to be and no belt-busting food plans (just pizza and a movie for dinner, like any other day off), and I made pet toys.

This was part of a team effort.  A group of us crafters got together and donated money and toys to a few animal shelters in NY and NJ that had been affected by Hurricane Sandy. The project was called Operation Chew Toys.  The 40 or so toys I made for dogs and cats went to Newark, NJ!

My point in making this post is to say that, for the first time in many years, I chose to take my angry energy and transform it into good.  I think of it as the Alchemy of Giving.

When I went back to work on Monday, everyone was so happy and seemed so refreshed and upbeat, I ended up being glad I did not rant.  If a Holiday makes people happy, who am I to take it away from them?  I like for the people around me to be happy.  I know what my own views are and why, and I abide by my own standards.  That's good enough, right?

I have made the decision that, in future years, instead of feeling angry about a Holiday I find offensive, I will try and put that energy into doing something charitable.  (Being who I am, the majority of the time it will involve animals, but not always.  I will look to see where the greatest need is.)  Maybe instead of "Thanksgiving Day," I will celebrate "Giving Day."


(Image credit: nbiebach / 123RF Stock Photo)

No comments: