Monday, April 1, 2013

DIY: Fix My Slippers!

 

This is a really simple project I took on in order to save a pair of slippers I really like.  They are nothing high-end or expensive.  They were simply a gift from someone I really care about.  They are also comfy!
 
I have worn them so much over the past couple of years that they finally started to have holes worn in their soles.  Instead of recycling them, I decided to fix them!
 
I am using denim reclaimed from a tote bag and carpet thread (very heavy thread--nearly indestructible!)
 
I simply took my slippers, traced around them on the denim, and made "insoles." With the slippers still turned inside out, I'm sewing the new soles/insoles onto the slippers. (Pin them in place to be sure you get the placement right.)
 
This could probably be done in an afternoon, but it's taken me about a month, because I tend to work on things for a bit and then sent them aside for a while.  I'm about halfway finished with the 2nd slipper and will probably take them with me on a trip we are taking next weekend.  :)
 
I don't know how durable they will be or if the denim will stay in place once the original soles are gone, but this at least will extend their life a bit!

No comments: