Friday, November 1, 2013

Fall

Kale and tomatoes
 
 
Well, here we are, mid-Autumn.  In the end, we did have a good tomato harvest.  Of course, they came in so late, we ended up having to harvest the last few before they were ripe.  They are currently decorating the table by the living room window.  We get a couple every few days that are ripe enough to use, so they'll feed us for a couple more weeks, probably.  They are so pretty, sitting there by the window in their various shades of red and green!  Soon, my boyfriend will pull down the plants, and they will go into our mulch heap.  We've collected some seeds from this batch.
 
In the end, I will say it was not a great growing season for us.  We did have an abundance, but not like last year.  Our beets didn't really make it, and we had hardly any kohlrabi.  (What's left in the garden is seed stock.)  The few beets we got were very small and, in my opinion, rather bitter.  The plants succumbed to a common fungus, whose name I don't recall.  We didn't get any greens from them.
 
The carrots continue to do really well, however!  They are huge, and they are delicious, so we are collecting seeds from them, as well.  The greens did so well we ended up having to cull!  I did give away a bag of kale to a friend, but that's all the surplus we had.  We ate a good amount of steamed greens and salads over the course of the year. 
 
A very strange and mixed year, I'd say.
 
Meanwhile, the inside of the house is also going through changes.  We were advised against selling the house this year, so we are continuing to make small improvements here and there.  Nothing huge is going on right now, because we've had a lot going on in other areas of our lives, and money's a little tight.
 
The cats are undergoing a dietary change.  I'm keeping them on a grain free diet; however, they are all being transitioned completely to wet food.  I'm embarrassed to say that we've had a string of urinary health issues with them, and I've finally concluded that it's their diet.  All but one of them were eating grain free dry up until a couple of weeks ago.  After consulting with my vet, I'm making the switch.  We'll know for sure if that was the issue and if switching them helped when I follow up with the vet in about a month.  That's been tough for me.  All of my life, I've worked hard to be a good cat "parent", and now this.  All I can do going forward is continue to be the best I can be.  Luckily, everyone seems to be OK.
 
The erratic weather we've been having in the DC area has really been hitting me hard!  I have fibromyalgia, and the fluctuations in temperature cause me a lot of physical pain.  This, along with our schedule, has really slowed me down.  That frustrates me, but it's my hope that, as we move into winter, the weather will stabilize and be consistent.  The cold isn't my favorite, but my I am hoping that, if the weather at least stays consistent, I might recover a bit. (Plus, honestly, I'm hoping for a good snow!)
 
Here's wishing you a happy Autumn!

 

No comments: