Sunday, March 19, 2017

The P Word-Another Update-Food

Tomato at our old place in MD.

It's been a little over two months now, since we started our plastic elimination experiment here at Sage Alley, and it's going pretty well.  I still have not transferred my animals' prescriptions to local stores, but at the moment, I don't need those foods, and the dogs have a vet appointment this week, so I will be able to ask then.  Likewise, I'll be setting up appointments for my cats at my other vet's office soon.

As for the humans in the house, it's been interesting.  Our eating habits have had to change pretty drastically (in my case, anyway,) and frankly, I'm finding it challenging.  One would not think that it would be that big a deal for vegans, but there were a lot of foods that I was eating that came packaged in plastic.  I'm no longer eating those foods, and I miss them.  My guy has always been OK with--and even preferred--eating whole foods.  The convenience foods we used to get were a treat for him, but he mostly ate whole food.  I'm the one who is having issues adjusting.  My thing has always been to take foods I've always liked and veganize them.  I like some of the meat and cheese substitutes.  I liked still making "chicken" soup, mac n cheese, etc.  Those are comfort foods for me. Now, I'm not able to make those foods, since we are eliminating plastics.  I'm learning a completely new way to eat.

I like whole foods, and I don't mind not having the mock meats and cheeses.  I'm just not used to it yet.  One thing I have tried was making lasagna.  It was a cheeseless lasagna made with tofu.  It turned out to be really good, actually.  I also have recipes for different kinds of "cheese" sauces made from tofu and nuts. I just need to change my thinking. We do have a source for bulk tofu, which really helps.  What is frustrating me right now, though, is the fact that I can't even make seitan, because it comes in plastic bags now.  Next time we are at the nearby food co-op, I need to check and see if they have vital wheat gluten in bulk. I suspect they do not.  The store back in the DC area does not.  I'm also going to look around online.  Seitan doesn't work with everything, but it works really well in the dishes for which it's appropriate.

We're making more foods at home, from scratch.  Bread and baked treats, in particular. The next thing I want to learn to do is make pasta.  We were getting pasta in boxes with no interior plastic bag, but with a small, plastic window.  We have decided to stop buying even that.  Again, this is hard for me. I really enjoy pasta.  It's extremely versatile.  Plus, I love Italian food!  I've wanted to learn to make my own pasta for years, so I'm looking at this as an opportunity.

We no longer buy the nut milks we used to keep on hand.  They come in either plastic or aseptic packages, which do not recycle where we live.  What we do now is buy canned coconut milk, blend it, dilute it, and keep the "milk" we make that way in a jar.  It's very tasty, and I don't miss the other milk substitutes at all! Breakfast hasn't changed much for us, really.  We just don't have veggie bacon or sausage any more, because they come in plastic.  Instead, we have fruit with our pancakes or potatoes or whatever. Both the hot and cold cereals that we eat are available in bulk.

So far, taking our own containers to restaurants is not a problem.  The problem has been that sometimes, we just forget. It's a matter of building habits, just like we had to do when we stopped using plastic shopping bags.  We both have a routine now before we leave the house where we gather everything we're going to need and put it in a bag and either hang it on the door to the garage or put it with my purse.

I'd have to say food has been the biggest challenge for me in cutting out plastic from our home.  I'm a foodie, and I have foods that I have always liked and looked to for comfort.  Learning this new way of eating is challenging for me.  My partner is much calmer than I am.  Change is easier for him.  The good news, though, is I am always open to learning.  As a foodie, the idea of trying new foods is exciting for me. It's just the cold-turkey nature of our changes that has kind of thrown me off. I'll get there, and in the meantime, I comfort myself with the knowledge that we are reducing our footprint on the planet.  That alone makes up for all of the mac n cheese that I can't eat right now!

Have a great week!



No comments: