Monday, June 19, 2017

Hadmade Pasta-First Attempt

First batch of handmade pasta with my fancy pasta maker!

Part of attempting to achieve zero waste means doing some things from scratch.  Recently, I made my first batch of pasta from scratch! Since we've been on this zero waste journey, there have been some radical changes in how we shop, cook, and eat. For a while, we would just buy pasta and find the boxes with the smallest plastic window we could, but we finally decided to stop.  Making pasta is very easy.

This plate of pasta was for my cheeseless lasagna, which is delicious. I did not make enough.  I will need to double the recipe next time.  I also used too much water/not enough flour.  the noodles fell apart a bit and stuck together.  Most of them were fine, but I ended up with a lot of broken pieces, which I used anyway.

It was fun to try, though, and the lasagna tasted great!  It also doesn't take long at all, so I don't think I will miss buying pasta. I'm finding making food from scratch extremely rewarding, and I'm finding that the food tastes a whole lot better, too.  I especially like using non-electric, old fashioned methods.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

I have never made my own pasta and I think that I might just have to give it a try now.

God bless.